How we collect and use information
You do not have to identify yourself or provide your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address (“Personal Information”) to use the Site.
If you should choose to give us your Personal Information, you decide how much information to provide. At various points we ask for your e-mail address, thoughts and comments. We will use your e-mail address to provide you news and information about Manchin for West Virginia.
Our general policy is not to make your Personal Information available to anyone other than our staff and agents. We may make Personal Information available to organizations with similar political objectives and viewpoints for the purpose of advancing our own political objectives.
We treat your first name, city, state, and any comments as Public Information. We may make your comments along with your first name, city, and state available to the public.
Non-identifiable website visitor data may be collected and used in aggregate to help shape, direct, and improve content of the Site.
We are required by federal law to collect and report to the Federal Election Commission the name, address, occupation, and employer of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 per election. These FEC records are available to the public, however, they may not be used by other political committees or organizations for fundraising.
IP Addresses and Log File Data
The IP address is the location of your computer or network on the Internet. We log your IP address for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes. We also use page hits in the aggregate to track the popularity of pages that people visit in order to improve the quality of the Site. There is no Personal Information collected in our log files.
Pixel tags (also known as web beacons or clear GIF files) recognize a cookie on your Web browser that allows us to learn which online advertisements bring people to the Site and to help deliver advertising that may of interest to you. The information that is collected and shared using these pixel tags and similar technology is anonymous and not personally identifiable. For example, pixel tags do not contain your name, address, telephone number, or email address. Pixel tags help us manage the campaign’s online advertising and to analyze and measure the effectiveness of online advertising campaigns and the general usage patterns of visitors to the Site. Pixel tags and similar technologies may also be used by third party advertising service providers who serve or assist us in managing advertising on The Site, such as DoubleClick, Yahoo Tremor and 24/7 RealMedia. Manchin for West Virginia PAC is not responsible for and does not control any actions or policies of any third party advertising technology service providers or of any third party members of any related advertising networks. For more information about DoubleClick, including information about how to opt out of the use of these technologies by DoubleClick, go to http://www.doubleclick.net/us/corporate/privacy. To opt out of collection by 24/7 Real Media, please visit: http://www.247realmedia.com/opt-out.html. To opt our of collection by Yahoo Search Marketing, please go to http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/ysmt/details.html.
Opting Out Information
Subscribers to our email list may terminate their subscriptions via a link at the bottom of each email sent from http://www.democratsenators.org/o/69/unsubscribe.jsp
Changes to Your Information
You may change your subscriber information or change your information, at any time by going here: http://www.democratsenators.org/o/69/t/1044/signUp.jsp?key=1532
Children’s Privacy Statement
To help ensure the safety and privacy of children, we comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998. We do not knowingly allow children under the age of 13 to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable contact information through the Site. The Site is not intended to solicit information of any kind from children under 13, and we have designed it to block our knowing acceptance of information from children under 13 whenever age-related information is requested.
If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifiable information from a user under the age of 13 as part of the Site, we will delete such information from our records.
The Site has a number of security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of the information under our control. Computer systems have restricted access limited only to those persons and organizations necessary to its proper functioning. This access applies to all electronic and physical security measures. Highly sensitive data including credit card information is additionally secured through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol. Our servers are located in a locked, secure environment.
Effective Date: August 4, 2010
Acceptance of Terms
User Content and Information
The Site provides you with some opportunities to post your own content. Content includes, but is not limited to, postings, stories, messages, emails, texts, images, photos, video, or other material (“Content”). Responsibility for any user provided Content lies with each user – you alone are responsible for the Content that you post on or send via the Site. The Committee does not control the Content that you or others may provide through the Site.
Content posted by users does not necessarily represent the opinion of the Committee. The Committee makes no representations as to the accuracy or validity of user-provided Content and is not liable in any way for the use of or reliance upon such Content by anyone. The Committee reserves the right to pre-screen, move, refuse, or remove any user-provided Content at any time for any reason and without prior notice.
By using the service, you may be exposed to Content that you find offensive or objectionable. Please report any offensive or objectionable Content to the Committee. The Committee will determine, in its sole discretion, what action, if any, should be taken with respect to any Content on the Site.
The Committee may require you to register to utilize some areas of the Site. You agree to provide accurate, complete and current information about yourself when such information is requested. The Committee reserves the right to terminate your registration and to refuse or remove any of your Content, if it has reason to believe that information provided by you is false, inaccurate or incomplete.
The Committee reserves the right to deny access to the Site or any features of the Site to anyone who violates these Terms of Service or who, in our sole judgment, interferes with the ability of others to enjoy the Site or infringes the rights of others.
This Site contains proprietary information protected by copyright, trademark and intellectual property laws. The Site is provided solely for your personal noncommercial use. You may not use the Site or materials available on the Site in a manner that constitutes an infringement of the Committee’s rights or that has not been authorized by the Committee.
When you provide any Content you are representing that you are the owner of the material or are making your posting or submission with the express consent of the owner of the material and that you are thirteen years of age or older. In addition, when you provide any Content you are granting the Committee, and anyone authorized by us, a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to use, copy, modify, transmit, sell, exploit, create derivative works from, distribute, or publicly perform or display such Content, in whole or in part, in any manner or medium, now known or later developed, for any purpose. The foregoing grant shall include the right to exploit any proprietary rights in such Content, including, but not limited to, rights under copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant jurisdiction. In connection with the exercise of such rights by the Committee, you grant the Committee, and anyone authorized by us, the right to identify you as the author of any Content you provide by name, email address, or screen name as we deem appropriate.
You agree that all postings and communications or other Content you provide are your sole responsibility. This means that you, and not the Committee, are entirely responsible for all Content you provide.
It is a condition of your use of the Site that you:
- Do not restrict or inhibit any other person from using and enjoying the Site;
- Do not use the Site to impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Do not use the Site to instigate or encourage others to commit illegal activities or cause injury or property damage to any person;
- Do not use the Site to post or transmit any information that is unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent information of any kind
- Do not use the Site to post or transmit any information that is hateful or discriminatory against any individual or group on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or disability, or promotes physical harm or injury against any individual or group;
- Do not use the Site to post or transmit any information that is harmful to children in any way;
- Do not use the Site to post or transmit any information or other material that violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material that is an invasion of publicity rights or that is protected by copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property right, or derivative works, without first obtaining permission from the owner or rights holder.
- Do not use the Site to post or transmit any information that is invasive to another’s privacy or includes personal or identifying information about another person, without that person’s explicit consent;
- Do not use the Site to post or transmit information that violates, intentionally or unintentionally, federal or state election laws, any other applicable federal, state, or local laws, or to promote or provide instructional materials about illegal activities;
- Do not use the Site to post or transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of commercial solicitation;
- Do not use the Site to post or transmit any Content that contains software viruses or any other computer codes, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- Do not use the Site in a manner that interferes with or disrupts the Site, or servers or networks connected to the Site;
- Do not use the Site to collect or store personal data about other users for commercial purposes or engage in commercial activities, without the Committee’s express prior approval.
Any use of the Site that is in violation of the Terms of Service will be subject to immediate removal and user/account suspension or termination, at the sole discretion of the Committee.
Modifications to Site
The Committee reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify, limit or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Site (or any part of the Site) with or without notice. By accepting the Terms of Service and using the Site, you agree and acknowledge that the Committee shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Site or any part of the Site.
The Committee may, from time-to-time, link to other websites which are completely independent from the Committee, such as websites of other campaigns, political parties, political organizations, allied organizations, government agencies, vendors, and the news media. The Committee makes no representations or warranty about the accuracy, content, or safety of following these links to other websites. By accepting the Terms of Service and using the Site to link to other websites you agree that you do so at your own risk and that the Committee bears no responsibility for anything that happens when you link to other websites.
Disclaimer of Warranties
By using the Site and accepting the Terms of Service, you agree and acknowledge that:
- The Committee expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement;
- The Committee makes no warranty that the Site will meet your requirements, that the Site will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, the results that may be obtained from the use of the Site will be accurate or reliable, the qualify of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through the Site will meet your expectations, and any errors in the software will be corrected;
- Your use of the Site is at your sole risk. The Site is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. Downloading or otherwise obtaining material through the use of the site is done at your own discretion and risk. The Committee is in no way responsible for any damage to your computer or computer system or loss of data that allegedly results from the download of any material from the Site; and
- That no advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from the Committee or through or from the Site shall create any warranty not expressly stated in the Terms of Service.
Limitation of Liability
By using the Site and accepting the Terms of Service, you agree and acknowledge that:
- Under no circumstances, including but not limited to, negligence, shall the Committee be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages that result from the use of, or the inability to use, the Site, including any third-party materials, products, or services made available through the Site, even if the Committee is advised beforehand of the possibility of such damages;
- The Committee is not liable for any defamatory, offensive, or illegal conduct of any user; and
- If you are dissatisfied with the Site, any content on the Site, or with any of the Site’s terms and conditions, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using the Site.
By using the Site and accepting the Terms of Service, you agree to indemnify and hold the Committee, its principals, officers, directors, employees, agents, successors, and assigns harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorney fees and court costs, made by any third party due to or arising out of Content that you submit, post or make available through the Site, of your use of the Committee’s Service, your violation of the Terms of Service, your breach of any of the representations and warranties in the Terms of Service, or your violation of the rights of another person or entity.
By using the Site and accepting the Terms of Service, you agree and acknowledge that the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall govern the Terms of Service and the relationship between you and the Committee without regard to its conflict of law provisions. You further agree and acknowledge that you will submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within Virginia. In addition, you agree and acknowledge that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to use of the Site or the Terms of Service must be filed within one (1) calendar year after such claim or cause of action arose or forever be barred.
The Terms of Service constitutes the entire agreement between you and the Committee and governs your use of the Site, superseding any prior agreements between you and the Committee. The Committee’s failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of the Terms of Service is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, you agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the Committee’s intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the Terms of Service remain in full force and effect.
Contact the Committee
Please report any violations of the Terms of Service by emailing the Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or by U.S. Mail to:
Manchin for West Virginia
3806 MacCorkle Ave. SE
Charleston, WV 25304
Dated: August 4, 2010
The Committee will offer or make refunds only for the purpose of complying with Federal election laws and regulations.